Please note that Ocean's Online Booking is currently only available for Telus PS Suite and Med Access EMRs only.
- The Ocean site must have Cloud Connect set up.
- The user must have a Patient Messages & Reminders Licence.
- The site must have a configured and validated directory listing. Details from this directory listing are used to populate the clinic's information on the confirmation page and/or email to the patient.
Online Booking for Accuro is currently in a closed beta pilot
Accuro users should contact their QHR rep for more information about the available online booking solutions.
Ocean is able to book appointments into your EMR scheduler through your EMRs API. There are certain limitations to the API that affect the following aspects of your EMR.
- Set Booking Time and Clear Booking Time. Using the Set Booking Time and Clear Booking Time to indicate bookable time slots in your schedule. Unavailable time slots will be denoted with a violet "x" in the scheduler.
- Booking Filler Appointments. Time slots with patients assigned are unavailable for online booking. To block off an appointment for online booking, you can simply mark it with "no online booking" in the description.
- PS Suite Appointment Types. For advanced restrictions, Ocean will require your site to use PS Suite appointment types. You must include "online booking" or "/ob" in the title of these appointment types.
- Background Text and Colour. Ocean cannot read background text and colour from the PS Suite scheduler. Time slots marked with background text and colour only will be seen as open, bookable time slots to Ocean.
- Ocean can only book appointments in empty time slots, or predetermined Template slots of your EMR. You can select the time slots for Ocean to book into in the Edit Provider Schedule page.
- There are several ways you can make slots unavailable for online booking.
- Template Slots. Template slots that you do not want to be booked online by patients should be de-selected in the provider schedule configuration (under the “Allow patients to book within these template slots” setting).
- Working Hours. Ocean can read from the working hours setting and will not book appointments on dates and time slots that are marked as non-working hours.
- Booking Filler Appointments. Time slots with patients assigned are unavailable for online booking. To do this, first click the appointment time in Med Access that you want to block off. Next, click "Menu", and then click "Set Type of Appt", and finally click "Blocked". From here, you should be able to input "no online booking" in the description field and specify the time frame you desire to block off.
- Ocean can only book appointments in predetermined Appointment Type Suggestions slots in your EMR. You can select Appointment Type Suggestions in the Edit Provider Schedule pagen. Please note that only suggestions that are both active and allow provider creation checked in the EMR will be selectable in Ocean.
- When booking appointments, Ocean will look for any other appointments booked across columns in the scheduler. If an appointment exists in an adjacent column, Ocean will consider that time slot not bookable. Ocean can only book appointments into the first column in the scheduler.
Warning for PS Suite users:
Do NOT attempt to block off time slots in the schedule by changing the slots using the schedule template or "Recurrent Text & Colour" feature. TELUS does not make these background colours available to third-party systems like Ocean, so the online booking engine is unable to determine their existence. As far as Ocean can see, a slot with a blue background with no appointment is the same as a slot with a white background with no appointment.
Ocean can apply restrictions for online booking based on the patient's primary provider. However, Ocean obtains this information from the EMR in a very specific way.
A note on searching provider's schedules in your EMR.
In PSS: Click Appointments to open the EMR scheduler. In the top menu, click Providers to view a list of all providers in your EMR.
In Med Access: Click the dropdown menu under Provider or Resource to view a list of all providers in your EMR.
In Accuro: Press F2 to open the Provider Management window.
Ocean will treat the Office Provider as the patient's primary provider.