When patients are sent Patient Reminder emails, staff can also use this opportunity to have patients confirm their upcoming appointments, which can then be synced back to the EMR and the Ocean eReferral (if applicable).
How to enable appointment confirmations for Patient Reminders
- Log into the Ocean portal. Click the "Menu" button in the top left corner and select "Patient Reminders".
- Click "Settings" in the top right corner. Create a new Reminder Rule by clicking Add Reminder Rule or Edit an existing one.
How patients confirm their appointments via Patient Reminders
1. Reminders vis Email
- Once appointment confirmation has been enabled, Ocean will include the following line at the bottom of the email message patients receive:
Please click on the link below to confirm your appointment:
- After verifying their date of birth, the patient will be presented with a screen confirming their most recent upcoming appointment date, time, and provider.
- If the reminder email also contains a secure message and/or Ocean eForms to complete, the patient can proceed by clicking "Next" to access those additional materials.
- Behind the scenes, Ocean syncs the confirmation back to the EMR and updates the patient's appointment status in the schedule.
2. Reminders via Text Message
- If a reminder has a secure message and/or attachment and/or eForm and/or appointment confirmation and the patient has an email on file, the text message will instruct the patient to check their email.
- If a reminder has an appointment confirmation enabled and the patient doesn't have an email on file, the patient will receive a link in the text message to confirm their appointment. After clicking the link, the patient will be presented with a screen confirming their most recent upcoming appointment date, time, and provider.
How appointment confirmations appear in the EMR
Patient Reminders are only available for integrated EMRs.
How appointment confirmation appear in the Ocean eReferral
If the appointment that the patient is confirming corresponds to the appointment that is scheduled within their eReferral, the referral appointment will be confirmed.