Before following the steps in this guide, ensure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of the Ocean Attachment Exporter (click here to download CFM file.) Version 2.0 and above will now upload attachments directly to Ocean instead of exporting them as a file.
Ocean makes it easy to select and 'green bar' notes in a patient chart in PS Suite, which are then automatically uploaded as attachments to an Ocean Online secure message or eReferral.
- Find the note(s) in the file that you want to generate as a PDF attachment.
- Check the box next to the note to enable the "green bar".
- Click on "Attach" link on the Ocean toolbar or the paperclip attachment icon on the Ocean custom form (next to “Email Patient”).
- This will pop up an input box allowing the user to specify the attachment file name. Rename the file, if desired, and select OK. (By default, the file name will include the patient initials, EMR user initials, and current date).
- A prompt will then appear to confirm that this attachment has been successfully uploaded to Ocean. Select the desired option. (Note, it will not appear if you previously selected "Don't Show This Again", or toggled it off in the Attachment Exporter's custom form settings).
- Once the attachment has been generated, choose Email on the Ocean toolbar. The email will launch in a new browser window, and the attachment will automatically be included in the Ocean secure message.
- Quick Tip: If you "green bar" an item and then select "Email" on the Ocean Toolbar to initiate a secure message, the attachment will automatically get generated to attach to the message (without having to click the "Attach/Paperclip" link). You will need to click "Yes - Create Attachment" on the confirmation prompt, before continuing with step D to F above.
You can easily save clinical notes and/or letters from Accuro as PDF files and attach them to an Ocean Online secure message or eReferral.
- Enter the patient's Virtual Chart in Accuro and find the encounter note(s)/file that you wish to save as a PDF. Right click on the note and select "Print".
- This will open up the "Print" dialog. Ensure that your printer is set to "PDF Writer" and select "OK".
- This will open up the "Save As" dialog. Rename your file and save it in the "Shared Files (S:)" drive.
Unfortunately, there is no automated method to create PDF attachments from other EMRs (i.e. OSCAR, etc.). However, you can still attach any PDF file that's saved on your computer to a secure Ocean message.
EMRs generally make it easy to print a collection of letters, notes, reports and other documents from the chart. Your operating system's Print dialog may have a way to save a PDF preview of the printout to your desktop. Macs for example have a "Save as PDF" option inside this dialog. Adobe and "virtual PDF printers" are good options on other operating systems.
Once the PDF is saved to your desktop, you can drag and drop into the attachments area in Ocean. If you use this workflow, make sure you remember to delete the attachments on your desktop afterward to ensure any personal health information is appropriately cleansed.