This menu allows you to search and select from your list of templates to automatically populate the different parts of your message. More information about creating and customizing your templates can be found in "Customizing Your Templates".
This area allows you to customize the message that the patient will see in their email inbox. Please note that the email body will not be recorded in the patient's chart. If you would like information to be recorded in the patient's chart, please include it in the Secure Message area.
The “[weblink]” keyword indicates where the hyperlink will appear for the patient to click on to access the message. The hyperlink will appear as “View Secure Message”, “Complete Questionnaire” or “View Secure Message and Complete Questionnaire”.
The “[weblink_french]” keyword can be used to show the French version of the hyperlink. It will appear as "Afficher le message sécurisé", "Remplir le questionnaire", or "Afficher le message sécurisé et remplir le questionnaire".
You can use the “[weblink]” and “[weblink_french]” keywords separately or together in your templates. If no keyword is included, Ocean will automatically append the English “[weblink]” version of the keyword to the end of the email body.
Include Secure Message
Checking this box will expand the Secure Message area. Messages for the patient can be added in the text field. A receipt of the secure message will be recorded in the patient’s chart with a date and time stamp (including the name of any attachments sent and if/when the patient confirms their receipt of the message or replies).
- Add Attachments
- Clicking “Add Attachments” will open a standard file attachment window where you can attach any relevant documents for the patient.
- Allow Reply checkbox
When checked, this option will allow the patient to type a response to the message. Patient responses are tracked in the patient record.
Note that this functionality is not available when using Group Messages with Ocean.
- Notify me when viewed checkbox
- When checked, a notification will be sent to the sender’s email or clinical delegate when a message is viewed.
Checking this box will expand the forms panel.
- Add eForm
- Clicking on this option will open a window to search for and select an Ocean eForm or Favourite. Once a form is added, it will be listed in the panel.
- Notify me when complete checkbox
- When checked, a notification will be sent to the sender’s email or clinical delegate when a Ocean eForm is completed.
In this panel, you can decide how the patient will be able to access their secure messages and/or forms.
- Identity Verification
- Decide how patients can verify their identity to access secure messages and/or forms. By default, Ocean uses birth date as the required validation method. However, you can change this to the patient's health card number, EMR number, an access password (given to the patient beforehand), or an Alternate ID.
- Link expiry
- This field determines the period of time during which the patient can access a secure message, attachment, or Ocean eForms. If an Ocean eForm is opened, completed and submitted by the patient, it cannot be accessed again. However, secure messages and attachments remain available until the patient selects the checkbox saying, “I do not need to view this message again” or the link expires.
- Notify me if no response after
- This drop-down menu adds an alert if the patient does not open the message or complete the form within a set number of days.
- When patient finishes, redirect to
- This will allow you to redirect the patient to the URL of your choice once they've completed an online questionnaire (i.e. when they click the "Finish" button), instead of displaying Ocean's default message.
- Note: Ocean's default finishing message states: "Please note that your healthcare provider will not routinely see your answers until the time of your next appointment. If you have an urgent medical problem, you must contact your healthcare provider directly or proceed to the emergency department." This message is important from a medicolegal perspective since it ensures that patients follow up urgent conditions appropriately. In the interest of patient safety, please ensure your redirect clearly delivers the same message.