Note for Ontario Users: In Ontario, Ocean eConsults are currently in a limited release. For more information on eConsult in Ontario as part of the Ontario eServices Program, please review the Overview of eConsults in Ontario article.
Utilize the Ocean Healthmap to search for a variety of specialists that meets your patient's unique needs.
To properly send eConsults to specialists within your Med Access EMR, Accuro EMR or through the Ocean Portal, your first steps are to access and search the Ocean Healthmap.
Access the Ocean Healthmap
- Begin in a test patient's chart and click the "Launch" button. This will cause any downloaded extensions in your EMR to appear in a new window.
- Within the "My extensions" window, locate "Ocean by CognisantMD" and click "View Patient". This will launch you into the Ocean Patient Dashboard from an internet browser.
- In the Ocean Patient Dashboard, you will be able to see basic patient demographics that were pulled from the individual's EMR chart along with any active eReferral or eConsult requests. To initiate a new one, click "Send eReferral" to be brought to the Ocean Healthmap.
- Within your Accuro EMR, select a patient.
- Next, click on a CDS Link or CDS Button (as displayed in the screenshot) that will bring you to the Ocean Healthmap in a new browser window. Click here to review how to set up CDS links and here to set up CDS buttons.
- To access the Ocean Healthmap through an internet browser, click the link here.
- From the Ocean Healthmap, click on the blue "Sign In" button in the top right corner and use your Ocean username and password to login.
- After logging in, your Ocean user account should be displayed in the top right corner next to your site name.
Search the Ocean Healthmap
The search bar in the top left allows you to search for a variety of health services. This can be done by either typing in the name of a specific specialist, or by inputting a general health service such as cardiology or physiotherapy.
For example, in this demo, searching for cardiology causes any matching listings in the current Healthmap view to appear listed on the left and also on the map itself with a blue star icon.
If a green arrow icon is visible next to the specialist, it means that they are both actively on the Ocean network and accepting eConsult requests.
Note: To locate additional specialists, you can zoom out from the map or search the entire Ocean directory by clicking on their respective hyperlinks.