Note for Ontario Users: In Ontario, Ocean eConsults are currently in a limited release. For more information on eConsult in Ontario as part of the Ontario eServices Program, please review the Overview of eConsults in Ontario article.
- The Action menu on an eConsult and/or eReferral in the eReferrals View is used to action on and manage your site's consults and/or referrals. Each action menu item is described here to help you process and manage incoming and outgoing eConsults and/or eReferrals.
Sender and Receiver Actions
- Download Referral Record
- Opens a PDF document of the complete record in a new browser tab where it can be printed and/or downloaded, OR it downloads a TIFF file (dependent on the site's settings configured here). This record includes all scheduling information, notes, messages, and attachments included on the Ocean eConsult and/or eReferral.
- Download Referral Note
- Opens a PDF document of the note in a new browser tab where it can be printed and/or downloaded, OR it downloads a TIFF file (dependent on the site's settings configured here). This summary document only includes the patient, recipient, and referrer/sender information, as well as the contents of the note.
- Download Patient Handout
- Opens a PDF handout in a new browser tab that can be printed and provided to the patient. This handout includes patient information, recipient information (including a map of current consult and/or referral location), future appointment information for the patient, as well as any booking attachments added to the eConsult and/or eReferral.
- Download Status Notification Sheet
- Opens a PDF document in a new browser tab where it can be printed and/or downloaded. This document is directed to the sending/referring provider, and can be used to notify them of any status updates if they are not yet on Ocean. It contains patient, recipient, consult and/or referral status information, and any scheduling information present on the eReferral.
- Import into EMR
- Triggers a new import of the consult and/or referral into the integrated EMR.
- Opens up a consult and/or referral summary that can be copied and pasted into the patient's EMR. For integrated EMRs, this summary will be stamped automatically into the patient chart notes at the time of sending/receiving the consult/referral.
- View Event Log
- Opens up an event log of the various actions that have occurred on the consult/referral. The log includes the event type, date and time of occurrence, the user who actioned it, and the Ocean site and listing it was actioned from. The Event Log is also where the reference is found, and the purge date.
- View Patient History
- Used to review a patient's referral history. These include any consults and/or referrals sent or received by the same Ocean site, for the same patient. If there are no previous consults and/or referrals for that patient to review, you will not see this option in the Action menu.
- Reclaim Ownership of Referral
- When a consult and/or referral has been revoked from a site, or declined at a site, the site will have the opportunity to reclaim ownership back to their site if they need to action on it further.
- This option will be found on Cancelled or Declined consults/referrals, and can be used to resubmit them to the site they were previously cancelled from, or declined at.
Sender Specific Actions
- Cancel Referral
Used to cancel a consult and/or referral. This option should only be chosen by the sender when a consult and/or referral to the current provider is no longer necessary. When clicked the user is prompted for a reason for cancelling, and the consult/referral is moved to the Cancelled folder of the sender site. The consult/referral is also flagged for review by the recipient site, and can be found in their "Needs Review" tab with an automated message informing the site the consult/referral was cancelled.
Note: This option will be called Cancel eConsult, if the referral has been responded to as an eConsult.
Receiver Specific Actions
- This action allows you to forward the consult and/or referral to another target, belonging to the same or different Ocean site. When clicked, the user is prompted to choose a listing from the Forward Referral pane, that pulls in listings from the Ocean Healthmap. Once the desired listing is selected, and the consult/referral is forwarded, it will move to your site's "Forwarded (All)" folder where you can continue to access and receive updates regarding it.
Note: The consult and/or referral can be electronically forwarded to listings on the Ocean eReferral Network (designated by the green arrow), or manually forwarded. If manually forwarded, you will be prompted to print and fax the consult/referral before selecting the Forward option in Ocean.
- Revoke Forward
This action is only available on Forwarded consults and/or referrals. If it was forwarded in error, or it simply needs to be directed, you can revoke it back to your site. The action of revoking will move the consult/referral back to your site's New tab. At the recipient site the consult/referral will be flagged for review, with an Ocean automated message stating that the consult/referral was revoked and the reason why, in both the Messaging and Notes pane. Any PHI will be scrubbed from the consult/referral at that time.
Notes: if you attempt to revoke forward a referral that already has been scheduled at the receiving site, you will be prompted to ask the site to remove the appointment information before doing so, to prevent any booking confusion in the future. If you attempt to revoke forward a referral that has already had a subsequent forward, you will be prompted to reclaim ownership of that referral instead. This will also send an automated message to the recipient site, flagging the referral for review and informing them the ownership was reclaimed.
- Add Related Referral
- This allows you to create a copy of the consult and/or referral, that can be assigned it's own health service offering and description, and be managed separately from the original.
- Await Reply
- This moves the consult and/or referral to the "Awaiting Reply" tab, where it will sit until you receive the required information from the sending site (usually requested in a message on the consult/referral), and can action on the consult/referral further.
- Mark as Test/Unmark Test
- Used to flag whether this is a test consult/referral or not. When marked as test, it is excluded from the site's analytics.