Note for Ontario Users: In Ontario, Ocean eConsults are currently in a limited release. For more information on eConsult in Ontario as part of the Ontario eServices Program, please review the Overview of eConsults in Ontario article.
If the patient’s email address and consent to receive eReferral notifications via email was provided at the time the eReferral was sent, the patient will receive email notifications when any of the following changes are made to their referral.
- When the eReferral is first sent, the patient will receive an email informing them that a health referral was sent for them, and they will be notified when an appointment is booked.
- If the eReferral is sent for a walk-in health service, the patient will receive the following email notification instead.
- If the referral recipient site has activated Appointment Reminders, for their referral appointments, the patient will receive a reminder notification a certain number of days before their scheduled appointment.
- If the referral is declined by the referral recipient, they can choose to notify the patient of this declination.
- If the referral decliner chooses to notify the patient, the patient will receive an email, notifying them of this declination (booking comments will vary based on the reason for declining the referral).
- Note: A referral may be declined for various reasons, such as if the receiving site determines that it is not appropriate or if it is incomplete.
- If the referral is cancelled by the referring provider, they can choose to notify the patient of this cancellation.
- If the referral canceller chooses to notify the patient, the patient will receive an email notifying them of this cancellation (booking comments will vary based on the reason for cancelling the referral).
- Note: A referral may be cancelled likely because it has already been booked or the patient/referring provider has changed their mind about requesting the referral.