Note for Ontario Users: In Ontario, Ocean eConsults are currently in a limited release. For more information on eConsult in Ontario as part of the Ontario eServices Program, please review the Overview of eConsults in Ontario article.
Most Ocean eConsults and/or eReferrals are stored for 12 months after they are initiated. However, some are stored for shorter or longer based on their status. These special cases are listed below:
- Incomplete eConsults/eReferrals will be stored for 30 days.
- Pending Booking
- If an estimated wait time longer than 12 months has been specified, the referral will be stored for the full duration of the estimated wait time.
- Booking Uncomfirmed & Booking Confirmed
- If the appointment is outside of the 12 month period, the eReferral will be stored for 30 days after the patient's booked appointment time.
- Booked at a Rapid Access Clinic
- If the referral is sent to a Rapid Access Clinic (assessment centre) and booked, the eReferral will be stored for 12 months after the initial assessment date.
- Forwarded (New)
- If the consult and/or referral is forwarded to another listing, the eConsult and/or eReferral will be stored for 12 months after the latest forward date.
- Assigned for Review
- If review is requested by another user at the site, the eConsult/eReferral will be stored for 12 months after the date the review was requested.
Attachments have the same retention period as the consult or referral they are attached to.
Incomplete, Processed and Completed eConsults/eReferrals don't trigger Deletion Warnings.
An eConsult and/or eReferral with any other status will be moved to the "Deletion Warnings" folder 14 days in advance of being removed from Ocean. A Deletion Warning email notification will also go out to all Ocean Sites with access to the shared record.
Storing an eConsult and/or eReferral past scheduled removal
Checking when an eConsult and/or eReferral will be removed
Note: Your site may receive a "Deletion Warnings" email, only to find that there are no consults or referrals in the "Deletion Warnings" folder. This could be the case if another user or stakeholder proceeded to "Complete" or "Process" the consult or referral, or refresh the consult/referral to extend the purge date.