Learn about where eReferrals appear and move within the eRequests tab of the Ocean Portal, as well as how incoming eReferrals can be managed.
You can view and manage all of your received eReferrals from the eRequests tab of the Ocean Portal.
Simply click on the patient to manage its next steps, including triaging the referral, accepting the referral, booking an appointment for the referral, sending a message to the referrer, etc.
- Once you receive a new eReferral or if there is a status change in any of your eReferrals, your clinic's indicated referral notification email address will be sent a notification email. Please refer to the "eReferral Notification Email Rules" article to learn more about who, when, and why Ocean eReferral notification are sent.
- The referred patient will also be sent email updates about their eReferral, provided that an email address was included in the original referral and the referral indicates that patient consented to be contacted via email.
- All incoming eReferrals will appear in under the eRequests tab in the Ocean Portal.
Note: Please review "What do the Different eReferral Inboxes Mean?" to learn more about the different inboxes that are used to manage eReferrals.
- There are several features available to help isolate specific referral(s). The "Filter" search box allows you to search by patient surname, referring clinician name, or provider name. The listing dropdown menu allows you to choose referrals for a specific listing or health service offering within that listing. You may also sort referrals by the "Description", "Date Sent", "Source", "Site", "Provider", "Protocol", "Priority", or "Noted" columns. Click the column description once to sort the referrals in ascending values, and click it again to sort them in descending values.
- Click anywhere on the line of your selected referral to open it.
Note: To learn more about the various icons and buttons you will see when managing incoming eReferrals, please review "What do the Icons and Buttons in eReferrals Mean?"
- If the patient demographic information requires correction, click the icon beside their name to update these fields. Use the "Accept" or "Decline" buttons to accept or decline the referral.
Note: This will move the referral to your Pending Booking or Declined inbox depending on which option is selected.
- If the referral requires review by another user at your site, use this button to select the individual and notify them.
Note: This action will move the eReferral to your Needs Review inbox.
- Use the scheduling pane to enter the patient's appointment information and any relevant booking notes. If the appointment has already been confirmed with the patient, select the checkbox.
Note: This will trigger a message to the patient and referrer including the appointment date and time as well as any additional messaging included in the text box or attachments that have been indicated. If the appointment has not been confirmed, the patient will have the option of confirming the appointment electronically.
- If an appointment can not be scheduled right away, you can communicate an estimated wait time to the referring provider by selecting it from the "Estm. Wait:" drop down menu in the scheduling pane. This action will update the status of the referral for the referring provider but will not trigger an email notification unless booking comments are added.
- To update wait times for multiple referrals at once, select "Update Wait Times" from the "Actions" menu in the eRequests tab. Enter the health service you would like to update along with the updated wait times. You may optionally specify the priority or dates to limit the update to apply only to specific referrals.
- Use this action menu to access additional functions available to you, such as printing, downloading, or exporting the referral. You may also forward, cancel, or delete the referral from this menu. If the referral has been forwarded incorrectly, you may also revoke the forwarded referral here. Other options include adding a related (child) referral, viewing past referrals for this patient, moving the referral to your Awaiting Reply inbox, or marking/ unmarking it as a test referral. You may also view the referral event log that indicates any action that has been completed on the referral from this menu.
- Add a note to the referral using free text or one of the options from the drop-down menu here. You may also triage the referral using the "Review..." option.
- You may exchange information securely with the referrer using the Messaging pane of the referral. Enter any text, canned responses, or attachments you would like to send and then press the "Send" button. The recipient will then be notified of your message by email and may log in to the Ocean portal to view it securely.