To connect your EMR to Ocean, you will need to install and run the OceanConnect app on a dedicated Android tablet (dedicated OceanConnect tablets are never charged a monthly subscription fee). This tablet should not be used for patient form completion and must remain connected to Wi-Fi at all times, as it connects Ocean to your EMR.
Turn off your tablet’s battery-saving features.
- This is to ensure that the OceanConnect app is always running. To access these features, enter the Settings app on the tablet.
- Go into the “Wi-Fi” section of the Settings app and select the cog at the top right corner of the page. Set “Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep” to “Always”.
Check your tablet's current date and time.
- Once you have purchased your tablets, before you install any apps, please check your tablet's current date and time to make sure that it's correct and that your tablet is set to the correct time zone. You can check this in the Settings app > System > Date & time.
Because the time zone setting is extremely important for Ocean's integration with your EMR and other systems, ensure that you do the following:
- Turn on "Use 24-hour format".
- Ensure that the prefix is "UTC", not "GMT".
- Ensure that the full time zone setting is the same as your EMR server's.
- Ensure that the full time zone setting is the same as your current computer's.
Create a Google account on your OceanConnect dedicated tablet.
- On your dedicated OceanConnect tablet, create a Google Play account. We recommend that you create a dedicated account for this purpose (e.g. clinicnameOcean@gmail.com). To do this, click on the Google Play app on the tablet and follow the prompts to create a new Google account. You do not need to auto backup device data or enter a credit card (Ocean apps are free).
Download the Ocean apps from the Google Play Store.
- Search for "CognisantMD" in the Play Store. Find both the OceanConnect and Ocean Tablet apps. Click on each app and select "Install" to download each app.
- Note: If you will be registering more than one Ocean Tablet, you should install OceanConnect on ONLY ONE of them.
Register the Ocean Tablet app.
Enter your Shared Encryption Key.
- You will now be prompted to enter your site’s shared encryption key. This is the 16-digit key you created in the Admin tab of the Ocean Portal. If you have not set your encryption key yet, you can do this by going to the Encryption section of the Admin tab in the Ocean Portal.
- Once you’ve entered your encryption key, you will be taken to Ocean Tablet home page and your tablet should appear in the Tablets tab of your Ocean Portal.