The template editor will allow you create and save message templates, allowing you to have a collection of standard messages (with accompanying secure messages and/or forms) to send to patients through one off Patient Messages or through Reminders.
Building a customized template
Customized templates are very useful if you often send the same specific message and/or a set of forms to patients. Additionally, a customized template is essential if you are using Patient Reminders.
- To build or edit a template, log in to the Ocean Portal. If you aren't already in the Patients view, click the "Menu" button in the top left corner and select "Patients". Select a test patient and click "Email Patient...". If you don’t have a test patient in Ocean please see the previous step on how to launch a test patient into your Ocean site.
- The default template you configured in the previous step will appear. At this point, you can edit it to your liking by making changes to the areas specified below.
Saving a customized template
- When you're done, you can click the "Templates" button in the top right corner to either save this revised template as your new default template ("Save as Default") or as a new template ("Save Template") altogether.
- Clicking "Save Template" will cause a window to appear where you will be prompted to enter a title for this new template.
Accessing a previously saved template
- If you want to edit a template that you've previously saved, click "Templates" in the top right, make your changes, and then click the "Update Template" button in the centre bottom of the window.
- If you want to delete a template, click "Templates" in the top right and select "Delete Template..." you can then choose the template you'd like to delete.
Please Note: Attachments cannot be saved to patient messaging templates.
This area allows you to customize the message that the patient will see in their email inbox. The text “[weblink]” indicates where a link will appear for the patient to click on to access the message (the link will appear as “View Secure Message”, “Complete Questionnaire” or “View Secure Message and Complete Questionnaire” to the patient). Please note text included in the email body will not be recorded in the patient's chart.
Include Secure Message
Checking this box will expand the secure message panel. Messages for the patient can be added in this text field. A receipt of the secure message will be recorded in the patient’s EMR chart with a date and time stamp.
- Choose Files
- Clicking “Choose Files” will open a standard file attachment window where you can attach any relevant documents for the patient.
- Allow Reply checkbox
- When checked, this option will allow the patient to type a response to the message. Patient responses are tracked in your EMR.
- Notify me when viewed checkbox
- When checked, a notification will be sent to the sender’s email or the clinical delegate emails when a message is viewed.
Checking this box will expand the forms panel.
- Add eForm
- Clicking on this option will open a window to search for and select an Ocean form or favourite. Once a form is added, it will be listed in the panel. To remove a form, click the red "X" on the right.
- Notify me when complete checkbox
- When checked, a notification will be sent to the sender’s email or clinical delegate emails when a form is completed.
In this panel, you can decide how the patient can verify their identity to access secure messages and/or forms. By default, Ocean uses birth date as the required validation method. However, you can change this to a password (given to the patient beforehand), the patient's health number or patient number.
- Link expiry
- This field determines the period of time during which the patient can access a secure message, attachment, or Ocean forms. If an Ocean form is opened, completed and submitted by the patient, it cannot be accessed again. However, secure messages and attachments remain available until the patient selects the checkbox saying, “I do not need to view this message again” or the link expires.
- Notify me if no response after
- This drop-down menu adds an alert if the patient does not open the message or complete the form within a set number of days.
- When patient finishes, redirect to
- This will allow you to redirect the patient to the URL of your choice once they've completed an online questionnaire (i.e. when they click the "Finish" button), instead of displaying Ocean's default message. Click here for guidance on using redirects.